Great Hearts offers a Free and Appropriate Public Education (FAPE) to students with disabilities who are currently eligible or are determined eligible to receive special education services and related services.
Providing access to a classical education to students with disabilities is central to Great Hearts’ philosophy of education, which seeks to enrich the lives of all of our children. We believe that the unnecessary removal or compartmentalizing of any student because of special needs would result in an impoverished experience for the entire class.
As such, our practice is to include our students with disabilities to the maximum extent possible in the general classroom while supporting their development of strategies and skills through specialized instruction. This practice is guided by the mission of the special education program at Great Hearts which is dedicated to fostering our students’ perseverance through courage and introspection.
In pursuit of these virtues, our Special Education teams develop a program for each eligible student that maximizes access to the liberal arts curriculum through small-group or one-on-one instruction, both inside and outside of the regular classroom during the school day. Our teams comply with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), and include instruction in skills and strategies in areas of deficit and may incorporate related services including, but not limited to:
- Speech and Language services
- Occupational therapy
- Physical therapy
- School-based counseling
- Consultation with a hearing teacher
If you believe your student is a child with a disability and requires specialized instruction, or for more information about special education services please contact the special services personnel at your local academy.
Great Hearts Arlington:
- Reginald Terrell: Reginald.Terrell@greatheartsarlington.org
Great Hearts Forest Heights
- Melisa Todd: Melissa.Todd@greatheartsforestheights.org
Great Hearts Irving
- Upper: Carmer Castillo: Carmen.Castillo@greatheartsirving.org
- Lower: Benjamin Moore: Benjamin.Moore@greatheartsirving.org
Great Hearts Lakeside
- Margaret Mitchell: Margaret.Mitchell@greathreatslakeside.org
Great Hearts Live Oak
- Brooke Lucero: Brooke.Lucero@greatheartsliveoak.org
Great Hearts Monte Vista North
- Trina Cardenas: Trina.Cardenas@greatheartsmontevista.org
Great Hearts Monte Vista South
- Kathleen Driskill: Kathleen.Driskill@greatheartsmontevista.org
Great Hearts Northern Oaks
- Upper: Cristyn Jagge: Cristyn.Jagge@greatheartsnorthernoaks.org
- Lower: Dilene Witt Nelson: Dilene.WittNelson@greatheartsnorthernoaks.org
Great Hearts Western Hills
- Upper: Marcelynn Sain: Marcelynn.Sain@greatheartswesternhills.org
- Lower: Vivian Caldera: Vivian.Caldera@greatheartswesternhills.org
Legal Compliance and Contact
Pursuant to the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) 2004, each charter is responsible for locating, identifying and evaluating children with disabilities. Within 45 calendar days of initial enrollment all students will be screened. We will notify you within 10 calendar days if an area of concern is indicated by a classroom teacher.
Please review the Great Hearts Texas Special Education Policies and Procedures:
The Special Education Rules and Regulations for the State of Texas can be found at the Texas Education Agency website.
The Texas Transition and Employment guide can be located here. The transition and employment guide developed and published by the Texas Education Agency for students enrolled in special education programs and their parents.
If your questions or concerns are not successfully addressed by the special education coordinator, please contact the Headmaster.
If you are still not satisfied with how your questions and concerns have been addressed, make an appointment with the Exceptional Student Services Director at the Great Hearts network office.
Should your concerns remain unresolved, please contact your Great Hearts local Governing School Board.
Tom Doebler | National Director of Exceptional Student Services
Great Hearts Academies | 4801 E Washington Street, Suite 250 | Phoenix, AZ 85034
P: (602) 438-7045 x 345 | TDoebler@greatheartsaz.org
Diane Jones | Senior Director of Special Student Services
Great Hearts Texas | 3350 W. Story Rd. | Irving, TX 75038
P: 469-759-3030 | Diane.Jones@greatheartstx.org
- North Texas SSS Regional Director: Romeo.Michael@greatheartstx.org
- San Antonio SSS Regional Director: Rebecca.email@example.com
- San Antonio SSS Regional Coordinator: Elia.DeLosSantosCantu@greatheartstx.org
- ESL Regional Coordinator: Kathryn.Adelmann@greatheartstx.org
The 2021 Dyslexia handbook: https://tea.texas.gov/sites/default/files/texas-dyslexia-handbook-2021.pdf